- 2-3 racks of baby back ribs
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of sweet pineapple, minced
- 1-star anise, grind it in a mortar and pestle
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 5 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- ½ tablespoon of paprika
- 2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of ground bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons of juice from an orange
- ½ tablespoon of 5 spice powder
- Combine all the ingredients that are listed above. Getting the ingredients together is the main part of this recipe. Since the ribs are barbequed, you need to ensure that the ingredients for preparing the sauce soak into the ribs well. Hence, once all ingredients it forms the BBQ sauce. Half of the sauce needs to be used to marinate the ribs which can be placed in a zip lock bag and kept overnight. Minimum marinating time is 4 to 6 hours. Store aside the extra sauce.
- Preheat oven to prepare for grilling. The preheat temperature should be 325 degrees. The roasting pan should be prepared with heavy duty foil. This will enable you to scoop up the sauce once the grill is done. Add water, about two cups to the pan. The roasting rack can then be placed on the pan top; the spare ribs need to be placed on the rack. Once the ribs are organized such you can place the ribs inside the preheated oven.
- Initial roast time for the ribs is 30 minutes. Set the temperature such. Once the time is overturned the rubs and roast for another time span of 45 to 60 minutes. If the water in the pan dries up then more water needs to be added. Once the roasting time is done for the other side, finish the ribs by putting them under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
- This style of Chinese spare ribs can be enjoyed the next day as well.
- Enjoy it with any other meal accompaniment of your choice.