Best Italian Gravy Recipe
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon of fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
- ½ tablespoon of dried basil
- ¾ cup of chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cans of whole tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Take a bowl; add the tomatoes by crushing it lightly with your hand. Do not break them in small pieces. You need large chunks.
- Put a heavy bottom pan on a burner without lighting it. Add olive oil along with onion, red pepper flake, garlic, basil, oregano, and mint. Save some of the ingredients for the end. Now, add in the salt and pepper. Turn your burner on and increase the flame gradually. As the garlic and onion start cooking, stir for 5 more minutes.
- Take off the pot from the burner and put a heat diffuser over it. Place your pot over heat diffuser. Now, add in the tomatoes. Turn the flame to medium-high. Keep stirring till it boils. Reduce the flame and cook it partially covered for 90 minutes. Remove it from heat and add the parmesan cheese and dried herbs. Add butter and stir again. Serve hot.
- The sauce tastes better when you reheat the next day.