- 2-2 1/3 cups of bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon of sugar
- 1 packet of instant yeast
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil plus some more
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of warm water
- ¼ teaspoon of dried basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Take a big bowl, add 1 cup of flour, sugar, instant yeast, and salt. Mix it well. If you want, you can add dried basil leaves and garlic powder in this step of preparing the dough.
- Now, add warm water and olive oil to the dough mix. Take a wooden spoon and combine it well. If you feel that the dough has become too sticky, add some more flour. Sometimes, you might need as much as 1/3 cup of flour to get the right consistency. Stir the dough as you mix the ingredients. This way it will form a cohesive ball. It will start pulling away from the corners and sides of your bowl. Keep in mind that the pizza dough is going to be a bit sticky. However, you should be able to manage it using your hands.
- Take another clean bowl and drizzle it with olive oil. Take the help of a pastry brush for coating the bowl with sides on all sides. Dust your hands with flour and make a small ball out of the pizza dough. Now, put it in the oil-brushed bowl. Coat it in oil by rolling it inside the bowl. Cover your bowl using a plastic wrap and store it in a warm place. Keep it for 30 minutes till the dough rises and becomes double the size. If you want to bake the dough into a pizza. Preheat the oven to 425 Fahrenheit during this time. So, that by the time you have the dough ready, your oven is ready for baking the pizza.
- When the dough has risen enough, deflate it using your hands. Flour a flat surface and transfer the dough. Knead it till it is smooth enough. You can use a rolling pin or your hand for working the dough in 12-inch circle. Take a pizza pan lined with parchment paper for transferring the dough. Fold the edges or pinch the edges for forming a crust. Over the top of your pizza dough, drizzle it about a tablespoon of olive oil. Take a pastry brush and brush the pizza with olive oil. Pork holes with a fork at the center. Add the toppings you want and bake for 15 minutes. Slice it and serve.
- All-purpose flour gives you a soft crust and bread flours yields a crispier crust.