- ½ lb. of potato
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon of paprika for dusting
- 2 sliced scallions
- 8 large size eggs
- 4 oz. of cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoon of heavy cream
- The first thing that you need to do is set your oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit and pre-heat it. Now prepare the vegetables. Take a mandolin for slicing the red potatoes. Make sure that you make thin slices of the potato. Whether you want to peel the potato or not is completely dependent on what you prefer. However, to save some time, it is better not to peel the potatoes.
- Take a non-stick skillet. This skillet has to be oven proof and 12 inches. It should also have a lid for covering. Take the thinly sliced potatoes and add them in an even layer on the skillet. Add salt to taste. You can also dust some paprika if you want. Now, it is time to put the pan over medium heat. Make sure that you cover the pan with the lid while cooking. Cook the potato for eight minutes or till it is tender. You can check for tenderness using a fork.
- While your potato cooks, take a large mixing bowl and add scallions, eggs, and cheddar cheese, cream, and salt to taste. Whisk them together for forming an even mixture. Keep whisking till it forms froth at the top. When your potatoes are done, you have to add the egg and scallion mix that you have prepared. Pour it over the tender potatoes evenly. Make sure that the potatoes are covered in the mix.
- Take the skillet and put it in the oven. Bake it for 15 minutes or till the frittata is cooked properly. To check if it is prepared properly, see if there are any visible liquid on top as you jiggle the pan. In case there is still some liquid, put it back in the oven and bake it for 5 more minutes. Take it out of the oven. Allow it to rest for a few minutes. Now, cut it into slices and serve it hot.
- You can use both waxy potatoes and russet potatoes such as Yukon or red potatoes. Both of these are just going to work fine. However, russet potatoes are bit fluffy when it comes to the texture.
- Keep in mind that the cooking time is going to depend on the potato slices. So, it is better to go by the doneness rather than the time.
- If you want, you can bake the dish and store it in the refrigerator for a day. Take it out of the refrigerator a few minutes before eating, allow it to attain room temperature and then heat it up in the oven.