- 4 cups of chopped kale leaves (Before chopping, wash the leaves and remove the stems. Allow the leaves to dry before making the chips)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or avocado oil
- ¼ cup of cashews
- 2 tablespoons of roasted sunflower seeds
- 5 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch of cayenne powder
- Once the ingredients are mixed you would need to bake it. So before you begin to set the oven for preheating and turn the heat to 300 degrees. This would take around 10 to 15 minutes. Take a large bowl for mixing the ingredients. Add kale leaves and drizzle with some olive oil. Massage the leaves with your hands for around 2 to 3 minutes. This would soften the leaves and prepare them to absorb flavors from other ingredients.
- Now take a food processor for blending the rest of the ingredients. You can also use a blender for this purpose. Add the cashews, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, black pepper powder, salt, nutritional yeast, and sunflower seeds into the blender or processor. Blend the mixture until you get a fine paste. Transfer the paste to a bowl using a spoon and set aside for few minutes. Then add it to the kale leaves and gently mix with hands. Make sure that the leaves are fully coated with the spice mixture.
- Take 2 big baking sheets and spread kale leaves evenly without overlapping. If the baking sheets cannot accommodate all the leaves bake the remaining leaves in the 2nd batch. Before placing in the oven sprinkle the leaves with 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast. This would add more flavor to the chips. Now bake for nearly 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet and carefully flip every leave bake again for 5 minutes. This should make both the sides equally crispier. If you bake for longer than the specified time, the chips can easily get burnt.
- Remove from the oven and allow the chips to cool. Now you can enjoy your delicious and nutritious kale chips. These chips have a cheesy taste and hence they are popularly known as cheesy kale chips. Your chips would remain crisp for a day. You can preserve the crispness for more hours by storing in an airtight container. Use them within 2 to 3 days.
- You can roast the cashews before crushing them in the blender. This would make it more aromatic.
- You can avoid cayenne powder if you want the chips to be less spicy. Instead of cayenne, you can use dry ginger powder to make the chips healthier.
- To add more volume to the chips. You can blend more cashews.
- Depending on the amount of leaves you take, you can reduce the proportion of nutritional yeast. You can also avoid it if you do not prefer it. Instead of adding yeast, you can let the spice mixture sit for 30 minutes before coating the leaves.