Try out these soups for a filling dinner with low calories.
Easy vegetable soup
This soup recipe is simple to prepare and is healthy and nutrient packed.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 cup boiled, peeled and chopped potatoes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1cup broccoli, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 1tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. To the oil add onions and sauté for 1 minute
- Now add the chopped carrots and celery and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or till the carrots are tender
- Add the chicken broth, water, diced potatoes, thyme and salt. Bring the contents to boil by increasing the heat.
- Now reduce the heat and allow the soup to simmer for 15 minutes. Keep the saucepan covered while simmering.
- After 15 minutes, add chopped tomatoes, beans and broccoli and cook for another 6-8 minutes
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and serve hot.
You can use sliced and toasted baguette as accompaniment for this soup if desired. Click Here to find similar soup based dinner recipe.
Shrimp and noodle soup
This soup contains the goodness of chicken broth, seafood and vegetables. You can make quick cooking noodles by cutting strips of wonton wrappers.
- 6 cup Chicken broth (low–sodium)
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- ½ cup wonton wrappers, cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp Sliced Jalapeno
- ½ pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 cup halved snow peas
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Basil leaves-1/2 cup
- 1tbsp rice vinegar
Method of preparation
- In large pot add chicken broth, soy sauce and jalapeno and heat to boil.
- Add cabbage, strips of wonton wrappers and shrimp.
- Allow to simmer until the shrimp turns opaque and the wonton strips are tender.
- Add rice vinegar and snow peas to the pot
- Boil for two minutes and top the soup with basil leaves.
Your shrimp and noodle soup is ready to serve. You can also use the regular noodles to add to the soup.
Kale and sausage
If you are looking for a light dinner recipe, you can try this soup.
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 5 potatoes, peeled and diced into ½ inch
- 3 cans of chicken broth (low-sodium)
- 1 bunch shredded kale
- Chicken sausage, cut into pieces (3 cup)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp crushed black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on low flame and add onion. Stir well for 2-3 minutes and add garlic and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes and allow to simmer for 10 minutes
- Puree half of the soup in a blender after cooling. Add the puree to the saucepan
- Add kale and sausage and simmer for 10 minutes and serve.