- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Start with a medium-size saucepan. So, add the yolks and sugar to the pan. Keep it at medium flame. Gently whisk it till the mixture becomes medium yellow or brown in color. Remove it soon.
- Take another saucepan. In here heat the milk. Keep this also at medium heat only. Heat it till the milk begins to simmer. Do not stir the milk, remember. Now, gradually add the milk to the egg in the other saucepan. Stir the egg and sugar mixture gently as you pour the milk to it. This is done gently but till the mix is blended well.
- Keep stirring. Increase the heat a little and keep stirring constantly. Just before it begins to boil, reduce the heat. Now, stir it a bit more and then remove it from the heat.
- Bring an airtight container. Pour this mixture into an airtight container and let it cool to around 65 F. The longer you will let this mixture cool, the creamier the ice cream will be. Making the custard base and chilling it are two important steps.
- Finally, add cream. Now, the heavy cream and the vanilla extract must be added to the custard base.
- Follow the instructions on your ice cream maker notes before you use it. For example, you may directly pour it into your ice cream maker. This recipe is to produce about 1 quart of ice cream. It can easily be doubled up to two gallons for ice cream maker.