- 1/3 cup of fresh water
- A good pinch of kosher salt; optional
- 4 white large sized eggs
- 1 1/3 cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pure extract of vanilla; optional
- 16 ounces of completely unsalted butter, at room temperature and properly cut into pieces of 1 inch
- ¼ teaspoon of cream of tartar
- Beat the eggs. First of all, beat the large sized white eggs, cream of tartar and salt. And then, slowly add it in 1/3 cup of fresh sugar. Now, continue beating it until very soft peaks are formed. Now, in a medium sized saucepan add the rest of the sugar and 1/3 cup of fresh water. Thereafter, place it over medium-low flame.
- Stir it. Now, stir it until the sugar becomes clear and completely melts. And maintain it at medium-high flame until the temperature reaches 235 to 240 degree F. then, drizzle the obtained sugar into the blender immediately. And run the blender until the meringue becomes tepid or cool.
- Switch to the paddle. Now, switch to an attachment of paddle. And add the butter (which was at room temperature) into the running blender. Add it just 1 tablespoon piece at one time. If you are using the kosher salt and pure extract of vanilla, then add them. And at last, beat it until the butter is properly combined and the obtained mixture has reached a very silky consistency.
- If you are thinking about making the buttercream before time, then remember that it can be refrigerated for some days.
- Remember that the Italian buttercream is more buttery and less sweet, so you can add more syrup of sugar to the meringue to sweeten it.