- Overnight soaked chana 2 cups
- Tomato mashed 2 cups
- Onion mashed 1 cup
- Cumin powder 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder 1 tbsp
- Chili powder 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tbsp
- Dry mango powder 1 tbsp
- Chana masala 2 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
This chana masala recipe is the most common and crowd favorite recipe around India. Every house cooks this and lives to eat it with rice or kulchas. You can make this dish at lunch or at dinner and can enjoy it hot and heavy.
- Take a deep cooker and add in it some oil. Once it is hot add in the ginger and garlic paste, stir it for a few minutes and then add in the onion paste.
- Cook the onion paste till it starts getting a golden brown color. Once the color comes to add in the tomatoes paste. Cook the paste till it becomes slightly orange in color and starts leaving oil.
- Once the paste is ready. Add in the cumin powder, coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, chana masala and salt as per your taste.
- Stir them well. Now add in the soaked chana with the water they were soaked in, it holds the flavors.
- Now close the lid of the cooker and pressure it on high flame. Once it reaches the point if full pressure, lower the flame to medium and put at least six to seven whistles in the cooker.
- Now let the pressure release itself and open it. Turn on the flame on high and cook it open for another five minutes. This will thicken up the gravy. Serve hot.
If you find your chana to still be a little uncooked, then open the cooker add in about a cup of cold water and repeat the process. The cold water stimulates the cooking process.