Gluten Free Crescent Roll Recipe
- 2 cups of high-quality flour mix that are gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon of instant yeast, if kept in fridge bring it to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons of xanthan gum, if the flour mix doesn’t have it
- 3 teaspoon of honey or sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup + 2 teaspoons of warm water
- 1 egg
- Potato starch for dusting
- ½ c of melted butter
- Extra butter for brushing
- Take a bowl of a stand mixer and measure the flour that is gluten-free, sugar if needed, xanthan gum, salt(away from yeast), and baking powder. In case you are using honey, mix the wet ingredients later on. You do not have to mix it yet.
- Add egg, warm water, and oil or butter. Combine it using paddle attachment at medium speed for 5 minutes. The dough needs to be thick enough. It has to be sticky and bit soft to handle.
- Dust the pie crust bag using potato starch. Dust the countertop using two teaspoons of potato starch. In case you are using a countertop, you will need more potato starch.
- Scrape your dough into balls on the dusted countertop. Sprinkle the starch over the dough. So that it doesn’t stick to the countertop. In case you are using a crust pie bag, take out the air and zip it up.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough in a 14-inch circle. Take the help of pizza slicer which is dusted on flour or starch cut in eight wedges. Roll out each wedge inwards in the form of a crescent. If the dough sticks to the counter, use a spatula to scrape it off. Pinch the edge gently for securing the roll and doesn’t break while baking. Use a bit of water. Place few inches apart on the sheet and curve it little from the crescent shape.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and allow the roll to rise during this time. After preheating, bake it for 10 minutes. Keep in mind those gluten-free rolls down brown. Take it out and brush with oil or melted butter. Serve hot and enjoy.
NOTES – When you dust the surface of the dough, do not work the starch into it.