Gluten Free Croissant Recipe
- 2 ¼ cups of bread flour
- 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of water
- 2 teaspoons + 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon of melted margarine, melted and dairy-free
- 9 tablespoon of margarine, frozen and dairy-free
- For making the dough, mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl till properly distributed. Add the melted margarine and water. Stir it properly for incorporating. Mix it properly and knead till the dough is smooth enough. Allow it to freeze for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the dough on a floured surface and knead it again for 15 minutes till it is elastic and smooth. Place it on a bowl, lightly greased and cover it using plastic wrap. Allow it to rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the butter block. Start by cutting the margarine into small chunks and arrange next to one another evenly on top of a parchment paper. Sandwich the margarine in another parchment paper and use a rolling pin. Flatten the block around one centimeter high. Maintain rectangle and even sides. Chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After it is chilled properly, roll the dough in a rectangular form, twice as large as the butter block. Place it in the center. Diagonal to the sides, enclose the butter block like one envelope and bring the corner to meet the center. Roll out the entire thing evenly to 1 cm thickness and fold short sides in by 1/3. Keep it in the fridge so that it chills for twenty minutes. Make sure that the dough as cool as possible.
- Roll out your dough and form a rectangle and fold in thirds like before. Chill out once again. Repeat the process once again. Allow the dough to chill it for twenty minutes.
- For shaping the croissants, roll the dough in a rectangle and then cut it into triangles using a sharp knife. Roll up the triangle, start with the widest side, and place them in a parchment. Once the croissants have been cut and rolled, allow it to roll in a warm place for around 75 minutes.
- After it has risen, preheat the oven at 415 degrees and put the croissants inside. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake it for 15 minutes. Take it out. In case it is not golden brown, bake it for another 5 minutes. Allow it to cool prior to serving.
NOTES – The thinner you roll out the dough wedges, crispier will be the croissant.