How to Make Cottage Cheese
- 1 gallon milk, not ultra-pasteurized
- ¾ cups of bacteria culture or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
If you can make fresh cottage cheese, you can use it in many dishes. The freshly prepared cheese is also good for health. You will need the correct temperature, good quality milk, and linen cloth. Then, you can join with your girlfriend to make the best pancakes you can with them.
- Take a saucepan. Put the flame to medium heat and pour the milk into it. Heat it to around 120 degrees F. You can use a thermometer here if you have. Remove from heat now.
- Add vinegar. Take a spatula and gently stir the vinegar into the milk. You shall see the curd separating from the whey in some time. Let it for like 30 minutes like that outside.
- Drain. Pour the mixture into a lined cloth or tea towel and squeeze and drain all the excess liquid from it.
- Cool it. Bring a large bowl filled with cold water. Dip the cloth bag in it for enough time. Again, squeeze and drain the bag.
- Bring a bowl. Transfer this to a bowl and add salt. The dough will break into pieces. Add cream and serve fresh.
The adding of cream can be done just before serving too. Store it in the refrigerator after thoroughly mixing with salt.
If without a thermometer, once the milk starts to boil evenly at medium heat, remove it.