How to Make Indian Rice
- 2 large cups of long-grain basmati rice
- 4 large cups (twice) water
- 2 tablespoon ghee or butter
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 1/4th spoon turmeric, for color
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry chilli flakes
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- ½ tablespoon black mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
The rice and curry is a combo that every Indian finishes as soon as it is served. This is the staple diet of the people. To try this filling and awesome combo, all you need is an hour of work. Together with your girlfriend or boyfriend, try this on a weekend for sure.
- Take a pot. Use a pot or cooker big enough to cook rice. Pour the rice and rinse it with water once or twice. Soak it for like 30 minutes in water.
- Boil it. Bring the pot to flame. Set at medium and boil with 4 cups of water. You can add more water too, but you have to drain it all later. Add cloves, cardamom and bay leaves while boiling. When draining, remove these from the rice.
- Take a pan. Pour the butter, cumin, mustard, onion, and chili flakes and saute for like a minute or so. The onion will take like 5 minutes or so at medium heat. Finally, add the rice and turmeric and mix it well. Cook for the last 5 and you are done.
The yellow basmati rice can be served with meat curry, sliced onions and a sweet dish for a complete meal.
Do not add more turmeric as it can spoil the rice.