- 2 tablespoon of oils
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of haldi
- ¼ teaspoon of dried leaves of fenugreek or kasuri methi
- ½ teaspoon of garam masala
- ½ teaspoon of red chilli powder
- ½ tablespoon of jeera
- 3 freshly chopped chillies
- 2 inch grated ginger
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 2 pureed tomatoes
- 1 pureed or finely chopped onion
- 100 grams of cubed paneer
- A bunch of spinach (preferably 250 grams)
Palak paneer is a very delightful and a hearty vegetarian dish. It chains the heavens of leafy vegetable in the form of spinach along with paneer which is amusing in proteins and low-slung in calories.
- Wash the spinach in a bowl thoroughly and then drain it. Now add the spinach to a cooker with a ½ cup of water and cook for 5 mins. If you wish to, you may also blanch the spinach in your microwave. After its cool, set the spinach aside and let the same cool down for a while.
- Take a pan and put it on a medium flame. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and let the cumin seeds crack. Prepare a paste of ginger, garlic, and some green chilies. Take an onion or two and finely chop them. You may also grate them if you wish. Add the chopped onions and the paste comprising of garlic, ginger and green chilies to the pan. Let the paste and onions cook until it changes its color to golden brown.
- Once the paste is cooked, you may add the spices like red chili powder and garam masala along with haldi and salt. Sprinkle kasoori methi as per need and mix well. The next step is to add flavors to the dish by adding pureed tomatoes to the mixture. Let the mixture cook properly in such a way that the raw aroma of tomatoes should fade and they should leave oil on its sides. During this mixture, the spinach must have cooled down. Now prepare a smooth puree followed by adding it to the pan.
- Mix it well with the rest of the flavors. Cook it for 3 mins by covering the pan. Coming to the climax, add the diced cubes of paneer in the gravy and cook for a while.
- Palak paneer should be served hot with any bread like roti, tandoor, naan, paratha, etc.
- If siders are needed, you may grate the cheese and add some on the top of delicious palak paneer.
Make sure that the palak used in this recipe is fresh.