How to Make a Khichdi Recipe
- 2 tablespoon of ghee
- ½ tablespoon of jeera
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 small finely chopped onion
- 1 slit green chilly
- ½ tablespoon of red chili powder
- 1 small chopped and deseeded tomatoes
- 1/8 tablespoon of turmeric
- ½ cup of rice
- ½ cup of moong dal (yellow lentils)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 pinch of hing
- 1 tablespoon ghee for the topping
Khichdi is one of the most preferred dishes for dinner as it is a light meal for dinner and healthy on its own. To add more taste to the khichdi, serve hot with pickle, and papad.
- Wash the rice and moong dal and soak for some time. If time permits you may soak for 30 mins, later after soaking drain the water completely.
- Take a pressure cooker or heavy bottom pot. Put the flame on medium and add ghee to it. Add curry leave and cumin. Let the cumin sparkle. And, later add some ginger and let it fry until it is fragrant.
- After some time, add onions and green chilies. Fry them until the raw smell of onion fades away. If you wish, you may add tomatoes and some carrots and saute for 3 to 4 mins.
- After the veggies are sauteed. Add the rice and dal that was drained. Decant 3 cups of water for syrupy consistency and then later add 4 cups of water for gruel-like consistency. Stir for a while and add more salt if you need; according to your taste.
- Pressure cook the khichdi on medium flame in 2 whistles for a mushy khichdi. According to your preference you may like to have consistency like porridge with the help of 4 to 5 whistle on medium flame. On the hot dal khichdi, you may add 1 tablespoon of ghee, serve with papad and pickle for extra flavor.
- For masala khichdi, add a ¾ tablespoon of garam masala along with haldi.
- If you prefer veggies, add carrot, beans, and potatoes, also stir a ¾ tablespoon of garam masala.
- Make sure, you don’t serve masala khichdi if doctor’s prescription is against it.
- Make sure, the dal and rice are cooked properly; uncooked food is always a stomach ache.