Winter has set in most of the countries or is just round the corner in other regions. You need to think of taking low calorie winter foods that will help in keeping you warm during cold winters and also help you to not put on weight.
- Salmon & Brussels Sprouts With Roasted Garlic
This is a great winter dinner recipe that is very healthy and full of nutrition. Flavoring the dish with wine and oregano takes it to a different level.
- 1 pound salmon fillet (skinned and cut into 3 portions)
- 8 large cloves of garlic, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 3 cups of Brussels sprouts (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp oregano (fresh and chopped)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp white wine
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven at 450ºF.
- In a small bowl mince half of the chopped cloves, oil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- In a large roasting pan, add the minced oil, the remaining garlic and Brussels sprouts and roast them for 10 minutes in the oven.
- Add wine to the mixture and stir for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and put the cut salmon pieces on top of the oil mixture and pour the remaining wine and oil mixture on top of it.
- Add remaining oregano, salt and pepper and bake till the salmon is done. Serve hot.
Click this link A Great Dish for a Winter Diet if you are looking to make a special souffle for winter.
- Black Rice With Meat Loaf Curry
This is a different and tasty recipe you can make this winter to give a curry flavor to your dinner.
- ¼ cup long brown rice
- ½ cup water
- ¾ tbsp olive oil
- ¾ medium sized zucchini
- 1 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped finely)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 inch finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 pound lean beef (ground)
- 1 fully beaten egg
- 1 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup ready-made mango chutney
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add water in a small saucepan and bring the rice to boil. Cook in medium or low flame so that the rice absorbs all the water and becomes tender. Once done, remove from heat and allow the rice to cool.
- In a pan, add oil and then stir fry the ginger and the garlic for a minute. Add the vegetables and cook till it is softened. Now add the curry powder and stir for a minute. Finally, add the sauce and stir fry for another two minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the vegetables to a container. Transfer the cooked rice into the veggie bowl, add beef and beaten egg and mix all ingredients well.
- Place the mixture on the oven tray and give it the shape of a meatloaf. Add the mango chutney on top of the loaf.
Now place the tray in a preheated oven of 350ºF and cook for about an hour to 1 ¼ hour. Remove from oven, cool it and then cut into slices.