This deep-pan pizza comes with bulky crust and toppings. You will enjoy the crispy pancetta, sausage and caramelized onion topping.
This American classic recipe is easy to make and can be a complete meal with carbohydrate, proteins and other nutrients. You can find “Gluten Sensitive Pizza Recipes for Home” by Clicking Here.
Ingredients for dough
- White bread flour – 1kg (some extra flour for dusting)
- Luke warm water – 650 ml
- Dried yeast- 7gm
- Golden caster sugar-1 tbsp
- Fine sea salt-1 level tablespoon
Ingredients for tomato sauce
- Tinned chopped tomatoes-400gm
- Peeled garlic- 1 clove
- Fresh basil leaves – ½ cup
- White wine vinegar -1 tsp
- Freshly ground black pepper-1tsp
- Sea salt- for taste
Ingredients for toppings
- Peeled and finely sliced red onions- 3 nos
- Best Quality Pork sausages- 4 nos
- Buffalo Mozzarella cheese-100 gm
- Parmesan cheese (freshly grated) – 1 cup
- Olive oil- 1 tbsp
- Dried red chili- 1no
- Fennel seeds -1tsp
- Fresh thyme – few sprigs (keep the leaves picked)
- Dried oregano -1/2 tsp
- Fresh red chilies (finely sliced) -2 nos
- Fresh basil leaves- 1 handful
- Pancetta or Italian bacon- 12 slices
Method of preparation
- To make the dough for your deep- pan pizza, take a large bowl and pour lukewarm water into it. Add yeast and mix with a fork. Stir in sugar and salt and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- When the yeast preparation is ready, add the flour bit by bit into it until the flour comes together. Dust a clean, flat surface with flour and knead the dough using your hands. Mix till you get smooth and springy pizza dough. Keep the mixed dough in a bowl dusted with flour and cover the dough with a damp cloth. Keep aside the dough in a warm place till the dough doubles in size.
- Keep a large, deep pan on medium heat and put one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the thinly sliced onions and thyme leaves and cook for about 12 minutes or till the onions are golden. Remove the pan from heat and keep aside.
- Take a food processor and add all the ingredients for tomato sauce in it with salt and pepper to taste and puree the contents. Taste the puree and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Slit open sausages and squeeze the content into a bowl. Using pestle and mortar crush the fennel seeds and dried chili and add this to the meat. Add oregano and mix well using fork.
- Preheat your oven to 4000 F/2000 C/gas 6. Divide dough into half. Take 2 trays of 25 x 35 cm and apply olive oil. Flatten the dough using a rolling pin or hand and place it in trays. Dough should be about 1 cm thick.
- Divide tomato sauce into two portions and spread on the pizzas. Place the sausage mixture in small pinches over the top of each pizza and place the mozzarella pieces of the sausage mixture. Scatter the caramelized onions and sprinkle basil leaves, sliced chilies and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle salt and pepper and place the pancetta on top so that they get crisped while cooking.
- Place the pizza tray in the bottom of the oven and cook for 20 minutes to get nice and crispy pizza.