Recipes with Bacon and Potatoes
- 1/2 pound of bacon
- About 6 cups of chopped/diced russet potatoes (1/2” or 3/4” sizes)
- 3 green onions sliced/diced finely
- 1 and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon first. This is done inside an oven that is set to 400 degrees F after placing the bacon. Place the bacon strips in the middle rack of a “cold” oven. Do not preheat that, as will be done after placing these. Now, set the timer for 15 minutes at the set temperature and check. When you find it turning crisp and crunchy, turn it off and remove. This step is done. Keep the bacon aside.
- Cook the potatoes now. While your bacon is inside the oven, you can start with the potatoes. Start with the washing, peeling and dicing them into small cubes. You must remove the back from the dish and place it over a paper towel. This is done to drain the excess of oil/grease. This is also to preserve the crispiness and not make it wet. Don’t wipe off all the grease left on the baking sheet. About 2 tablespoons of it are required for the potatoes. You must place the potatoes in a single layer and bake them for like 20 minutes or so.
- Prepare the mixture. Chop the bacon now and keep aside. Remove the potatoes; sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Do the same generously with cheddar cheese, as much as you like. Spread the chopped back all over the potatoes on the baking sheet. Now, bake the mixture back in the oven for like 3 minutes. Finally, spread the sliced green onions all over the dish and serve hot.
- Depending on whether you like your bacon crispy or chewy, cook for around 16 minutes or little 2 to 3 minutes more.