Sweet Potato Smoothie Recipe
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 frozen banana chopped into cubes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
This smoothie is a creamy sweet potato preparation that would remind you of the taste of a thick sweet potato pie. Loaded with the natural sweetness of bananas and maple syrup, the smoothie can serve as a breakfast or a dessert drink to compliment your special lunch or brunch. The easy-to-make vegan smoothie can be enjoyed anytime with your family or friends.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cook the sweet potatoes for nearly 60 minutes. This should make the potatoes soft to touch. Remove and transfer the fleshy part of the potatoes into a bowl. Use a big serving spoon and mash until you get a thick puree.
- Take a big mixing bowl. Add sweet potato puree and lite coconut milk. You can buy canned coconut milk or make it freshly by squeezing grated coconut. But this would increase the preparation time.
- Add the chopped banana pieces and mash with a spoon. Stir the mixture and add the vanilla extract. Some people prefer to use vanilla essence but if you want a natural and healthier smoothie, extract would be the right choice.
- Add grated nutmeg pieces and maple syrup. Mix everything with a spoon and keep it aside. You can wait for a few minutes so that the flavors naturally combine with each other.
- Transfer the mixture into a blender. Blend well until you get a creamy smoothie. Pour it into 2 large glasses and garnish with chopped walnuts. To enjoy the fresh taste of this preparation, have it right away. If you want to serve it later, then refrigerate it to preserve the freshness.
- Instead of walnuts, you can use almond pieces. If you do not prefer nuts, you can garnish with chocolate chips.
- You can increase or decrease the amount of maple syrup to adjust the sweetness.