Two Delicious Indian Vegetarian Soups
Soups are loved by everyone in the family. The following are 2 of the Tasty and Delicious Vegetable Soups that are prepared in many households in India.
Creamy spinach, onion and carrot soup
This is a tasty soup to treat your guests and friends when they visit home for dinner. The soup is loaded with vitamins, minerals and proteins.
- 1 ½ cups of spinach (washed and chopped)
- ½ cup of carrot (chopped roughly)
- ½ cup of sliced onions
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons of butter
- Salt and crushed black pepper powder to taste
- Take a non stick deep bottomed pan and place it on the gas burner. Heat butter.
- Now sauté onions in the pan for about 2 minutes.
- Add the carrot into it and mix it well. Now add ½ cup of water and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on medium flame. Be sure to cover the pan with a lid.
- Add the spinach into the pan and cook again for about 2 minutes. Stir it occasionally.
- Add milk and then mix well with other ingredients in the pan. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now, turn the gas off and remove the pan and allow it to cool.
- Blend the ingredients in the pan using a blender till they mix to form a smooth paste.
- Pour the smooth soup into the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add salt and crushed pepper powder.
- Transfer into soup bowl and serve hot.
This Link will lead you to a page ‘Tasty Soups for Family Dinners’ where you will find other soup recipes you can prepare for dinner.
Lentil, garlic and tomato soup
This is another yummy, easy to make soup recipe that is a favorite among many Indians. The tomatoes, add the red zing to the soup and the garlic gives it the perfect soup aroma. Lentils provide the proteins and zinc.
- ½ cup split red lentil (soaked in water, washed and drained)
- ½ cup sliced onions (thin slices)
- 1 ½ tablespoon garlic (finely chopped)
- ¾ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- Salt and pepper powder to taste
- Heat two teaspoons of oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add garlic and sauté it on medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Now add onions and again sauté for about 2 minutes till onions are half done.
- Add the diced tomatoes and chili powder and cook for 2 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally.
- Add the split lentils, 2 cups of water and required salt and pressure cook it on medium flame for three whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape from the cooker before opening it. Allow it to cool.
- Once the mixture is cooled, blend it in a mixture till you get a smooth paste.
- Transfer the paste into a deep bottomed pan and add 2 cups of water.
- Cook on medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Add lemon juice and pepper powder and remove from fire.
- Serve it hot in soup bowls.