- Small sized sweet potato (1)
- Roasted and mashed sweet potato (½ cup)
- Dry chickpeas soaked overnight (1½ cup)
- Finely diced medium sized onion (1)
- Finely diced large cloves of garlic (2)
- Salt (1 tablespoon)
- Cayenne pepper (1 tablespoon)
- Cumin (3 tablespoons)
- Mildly smoked paprika (1 tablespoon)
- Finely chopped coriander (handful)
- Flax eggs (2)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F and start preparing the flax eggs. Slice your sweet potatoes into quarters through the length. Brush an olive oil coating on these potato quarters and place it in the oven for 30 minutes. The aim is too able to pierce the flesh with the help of a knife with ease.
- Pulse the chickpeas by putting them in a food processor. Pulse the chickpeas on the basis of how smooth you want your burgers to be. Transfer these chickpeas in a large sized bowl that is used for mixing. Put roasted sweet potato in the food processor and blend it. You can mash them using a fork or potato masher. Add the remaining ingredients like diced onion, garlic cloves, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and, cumin. Mix all these ingredients together.
- Form patties of this mixture using your hands. Add droplets of water if your mixture is not sticky enough. To firm up the patties, refrigerate the patties for 30 minutes.
- Take a pan and put around 1 tablespoon of oil into it. Once the pan has heated up, put some mixture into it. When the mixture starts to turn brown, you know your patties are sizzling at the right temperature. Put burgers into this oil pan and take 4-5 minutes to fry them. The time you take to fry the burgers depends on the thickness of your patty and the burger. Flip each side after 5 minutes. Once cooked, put the patties on a tissue to get rid of excess oil. Combine your patties and burger now and top it with sauces and ingredients of your choice. Serve immediately.
- Instead of chickpeas, you can use red kidney beans, black beans or cannelloni beans.
- Eat hot and fresh otherwise, the burger will become soggy and lose its taste.