Vegan Mapo Tofu
- Cut up shitake mushrooms ½ cup
- Kombu piece 1 inch, neatly diced
- Boiling water 2 cups
- Small white button mushrooms (6)
- Vegetable oil 1/3 cup
- Corn starch 1 tbsp
- White wine 2 tbsp
- Dark soy sauce 2 tbsp
- Pepper corns crushed 1 tbsp
- Dried Chinese red chilies 2 tbsp
- Garlic cloves minced 3 tbsp
- Minced ginger 1 tbsp
- Scallions 4 chopped
- Chives cut up (12)
- Mustard sauce 2 tbsp
- Chili broad been paste 3 tbsp
- Roasted chili oil 2 tbsp
- Silken tofu, medium firm 1-1/2 cup
The recipe is one of the most flavorful recipes. You can make it as lunch or dinner with your family or friends and can serve this with noodles or rice or even both. It takes some time and efforts but the results are lip-smacking.
- Start by cutting shitake mushrooms. Dipping them in kombu for at least five minutes. Now take a wok or a deep pan and add oil in it, about 6 to 7 tbsp. Once the oil is hot, mix in it the roasted chili oil and let it get hot.
- Once they are hot start by adding the ginger and garlic minced first. Once they are browned, add the scallions and chives and crushed peppercorns. Saute them for a while and then add button mushrooms and chili broad bean paste.
- Let them simmer for about five minutes. Then remove the lid again and now start by adding the tofu in first. Once you add the tofu, stir it with other ingredients and cook it till the sides of it become golden brown.
- Now start adding the white wine, dark soy sauce, mustard sauce, red chilies dried Chinese. Now, stir really well with tofu and other ingredients. Cook them on high flame for 4-5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Now finally add the boiling water and the corn starch. Stir it well and let it simmer for fifteen minutes on low flame with closed lid.
- When you start seeing the oil lining up on the liquid that is when your dish is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and sir to the side of either fried rice or schezwan noodles, they go best together.
If you don’t want it to be too spicy, refrain from the use of Chinese dried red chilies, they are highly spicy and gives a nice effect to the whole dish.